Frequently Asked Questions

  • What can I use an Emergency Assistance payment for?
    • Emergency Assistance payments can be used to:
      • Pay a utility bill if your heat, electricity, sewer, or water service has been stopped;
      • Pay a security deposit on a new apartment if you have been evicted; or
      • Stop an eviction from your current apartment.
  • How do I apply for Emergency Assistance?
  • What should I bring with me when I apply for Emergency Assistance?
    • This brochure provides you with a checklist of what you may need when you apply for Emergency Assistance. Required information in the W-2 column may also be needed for Emergency Assistance.


  • What is Emergency Assistance?
    • Emergency Assistance is a one-time payment that can help low-income parents pay an emergency housing or utility-related expense.
  • Who can receive Emergency Assistance?
    • Low-income individuals who have at least one child in the house and are facing an emergency can receive Emergency Assistance. An emergency could be due to:
      • Fire, flood, or natural disaster;
      • Homelessness or impending homelessness, or
      • Energy crisis.

Resources and Support

Green hexagon shape

Online Application

Visit Site
Yellow hexagon shape

What to Bring to your EA Appointment

Visit Site
Orange hexagon shape

Public Housing Agencies in Wisconsin

Visit Site
Blue hexagon shape

Shelters, Emergency Housing, Meals and Clothing

Visit Site
Red hexagon shape

Local Non-Profits

Visit Site
Purple hexagon shape

DCF Support Services

Visit Site
Green hexagon shape

Great Rivers 2-1-1

Visit Site

Additional Services by County

Buffalo County hexagon

Buffalo County

Visit Site
Crawford County hexagon

Crawford County

Visit Site
Jackson County hexagon

Jackson County

Visit Site
Juneau County hexagon

Juneau County

Visit Site
La Crosse County hexagon

La Crosse County

Visit Site
monroe county

Monroe County

Visit Site
pepin county

Pepin County

Visit Site
trempealeau county

Trempealeau County

Visit Site
vernon county

Vernon County

Visit Site

This program is funded through the State of Wisconsin Department of Children and Families using Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF) funds.